Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Project Based Learning

I don't know about you, but I hated projects as a kid in school. I much preferred getting assignments where there was a right answer, had a completion target that was easy to see and concepts that were easily mastered and memorized. But that was me and my learning style. I am a linear, logical person.

Which then begs the question....how will I ever teach in a project based learning environment? I can see the benefits. Students can become more engaged, dig deeper, apply knowledge they already have and construct new knowledge, incorporate curriculum content from different areas and be creative on top of all that. And there might be the reason I find projects so hard. I maintain, mostly truthfully, that I am not a creative person. Anything that requires some sort of creativity causes me to freeze up. I feel like I can't do it. I think most of this wall comes from my need to know I have done something right and perfect. I have to get over that.
This will be the hurdle for me to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment