Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The future of Education

I grew up in the Industrial Age of education. According to Jane Gilbert, this age emphasized an organized system of education delivery. However, in our now technological age, this method of delivery no longer suffices. Students now have access to any information they need and so no longer see the need to be force-fed random facts that to them have no connection to the real world. And yet, our curriculum requires that we, as teachers, continue to fill their heads with these tidbits. But, we are also trying to lead our students, and ourselves, into the age where knowledge is fluid. Knowledge, to this generation, is only meaningful when they have had a chance to incorporate it and use it in a deliberate way to construct further learning.

So what does that mean for us as teachers? How can we make learning meaningful when we are faced with this huge list of curriculum objectives that we need to report on? How can we satisfy government and school district requirements and do it in such a way that students are prepared to be part of the global community?

At this point, I'm glad I teach at the elementary level where group projects, collaborative learning and curriculum content is easily integratable. We can cover lots of content area in creative ways. But I think we still need to do more. At least for myself, assessment is still an individual thing. I still want to know if Johnny can spell basic words, count to 100 and recount basic needs of animals. That is going to be more of my focus this year, I think...to think of creative, but meaningful, ways of assessment for my students.

Okay, that was really a random post, but this article has got me thinking...education has to change. Am I ready to be part of the process?

1 comment: