Monday, October 25, 2010

Creativity....how am I trying to develop it?

One of the things I'm trying to do is to ask the students to do something different than they expect with what they have. For example, as we print our letters, I'll ask them to take the letter they have just printed on their white board and make it into something different. Most of the students are quite enjoying this. Others can't quite understand what I'm saying, or can't think of anything. It's been fun to watch as they struggle with this. Today, in Math class, we were working with manipulatives to show different ways to make a certain number. So they had about 20 things on their desk, such as uniblocks, in 2 different colours. They showed me many ways to make 5 and 6 and 7 and 8. They quite enjoyed that activity and I often commented on their new structure they were making. At the end, just for fun and to stretch their creativity, I asked them to make a structure with all of their items. It was fascinating to watch as their little hands got very busy. (probably the only time during the day that everyone was focused on the right task!)
And so it was good for me to see too. I even took pictures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment