Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's a new day...thankfully!

And I think I need to do a new technology component to my inquiry...I'll keep the creativity thing, but do that the old fashioned way. Rather, my technology aspect will do with communicating with a student who is homebound for a few weeks.
One little girl in my class, (I'll call her Madi) had a bad fall on the weekend and broke her clavacal (collar) bone. It is a very bad break and any bump on it at this point could send her for surgery. She is also in a fair amount of pain. With my very rambunctious class who find it very hard to not touch each other (usually tackling, bumping, poking, generally not watching out for each other), this would not be a good situation for her. So Madi will wait until it's healed sufficiently before she comes back. But I don't want her to feel left out. When she came to see me after school earlier this week, I got some books and work together for her and then we talked about what else she could do. Because it is her right shoulder and she is right handed, anything written is out of the question at this point. BUT she can use a computer with her left hand. So this is what we've come up with so far. I've recommended some websites that are appropriate for her (starfall.com, primarygames.com, sd34websites.com, etc). I've also set up e-mail communication with her so that she continues to write. She's written me twice so far. Her spelling's not great, but she can communicate clearly and it's been a real pleasure for me to read. Now i"m hoping to somehow have the kids also communicate with her. I could just set them all up on my e-mail to write her, but I"m not sure that's the best way. On the other hand, I don't want to set my grade 1's up with their own e-mail addresses. Does anyone have an idea of how this could work?

Another thought that just came to me is to have her record her voice on an i-pod. She is a fairly fluent reader, and maybe I could have her recording books for the kids to use to read. Hmmm...I'm liking this idea. Let me go work on that.

It's a new day! Whew! (And I start the day with an hour long prep!)

No comments:

Post a Comment