Sunday, October 17, 2010

Conformity versus Creativity

So this week I'm writing up interim reports for my class of grade ones. It would be so much easier if I used a cookie cutter model and anyone that did not fit gets the unhappy faces! But that isn't right and now I'm forced with wrestling with how much of a child's behaviour is because they are creative/expressive and how much, if any, is because they are willfully being "bad."

Report Cards are such limited tools to record a student's progress. As soon as you put down certain terms to evaluate, you're forced to give a certain grade, but are not allowed to explain the rationale. For example, this term I am evaluating on the student's social adjustment to grade one including such things as showing respect for property, getting work done on time, following rules, etc. But it becomes very difficult for me to put a "happy face" on Karl's paper for listening attentively when I know that half the time karl's mind is far away on some creative venture. So is it right for me to give him a bad grade when he is being creative?? "Following rules and directions" is another tough one. Breaking rules is what creative people do....isn't it?? But how do I teach in such a way that rules are there to give guidance, but not limit? And, to the child who follows every direction I give, who does the assignments exactly right, I reward with all happy faces? Of course I do, but it almost feels like I'm punishing the children who push the boundaries (ie, are creative!).

This is a tough spot, and I'm not sure I have the answers.... Hopefully the fact that I'm struggling with this shows that I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment