Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Do we really need it?

So my assignment this week was to build a "Netvibe" website in order to have one place where all the cool blogs, websites, and constant news feeds on my topic of choice can be displayed in one place. I'm hitting another wall with this one. Not because it's difficult, but because I'm wondering at the wisdom of it. Again I feel like I'm not even using all the good stuff I've found the old-fashioned way, so why would I look for even more things? Even with all the filters out there, the amount of information coming in to my netvibe page is overwhelming! How can I possibly keep up with it? Time is of the essence.... or is it?

What's the ultimate goal here? Just to gain knowledge/learning for the sake of learning? Surely there has to be more. I need the purpose here... I'm losing focus.

So let me go back to my basic. I want to be the very best possible teacher I can be in order to help my students become the very best possible citizens they can be in the world we share together.

Anyone else collecting info and now wondering what to do with it? What's your focus? How are you able to sort through things you are learning to choose the stuff that's really important? How do you manage your time? With the stuff I'm collecting on Netvibes, I could be sitting at the computer reading 24/7.
HELP!! I'm drowning here...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. You put into words nicely what I was thinking. I too had similar thoughts when first setting up netvibes. I was thinking, don't I already have buttons set up on my browser? a google reader account? why do I need another??????? But, I was a bit changed after playing around with it. It did help me to find articles. I'm trying to not be overwhelmed and ignore most of what comes in unless something happens to capture my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the exact same situation Cyndy. I feel like I am already overwhelmed by the amount of information "out there", and I currently do not subscribe to much RSS now. How am I going to feel when my Netvibes page is done and I am suddenly swarmed by information??

    I'm seeing a pattern in many of your posts and comments: time (or lack thereof). I too struggle with that and wonder how people find the time to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura and Sue,
    I think opening my eyes to see what else is out there is a good thing, but also slightly useless if I don't change my teaching because of it. Even with filters built in, I still need to take the time to browse what does come through and then check out what interests me. Is that really a valid use of my time? I'm going to try to go on Tuesday to see if Tom can persuade me otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete