Monday, May 24, 2010

Crap Detection

Ever watched the movie "Wag the Dog?" Throughout all of Rheingold's blog, Crap Detection 101, I kept having flashbacks to the movie. The main premise, in case you haven't seen the movie, is to create a political crisis though medica deception so that attention is diverted from a real situation that could have meant the downfall of the president. Since watching that movie, I have never been able to watch news without a critical eye again. And, now since reading Rheingold's blog and watching the video clip, I won't be able to look at anything I find online without being just a little bit skeptical.

For me, one of the main things I've learned, will be that unlike with books where checks and balances are in place that only credible things are published, things on the web are checked and balanced by the consumer. We are responsible for checking all sources (triangulate!) and determining which items are valuable. We will need to exercise our "think for yourself" muscles. I wonder if I've ever really been taught how to do that?

One of my quandries while reading this was realizing that I had always thought, and I think have been taught, that the internet has made things easier to find facts and information. But now I wonder. I think it might be more difficult.

So how does that affect the way I teach grade 1? I do not allow them to go on information sites without me first having researched those. I have done research with students, but done it through child friendly search engines. As a student myself, I need to make sure to triangulate my sources. Using search engines such as ERIC puts a great filter over articles I may want to use.

Overall, I need to have an attitude of suspicion towards things I read on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment