Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Connectivism

Our assignment for this week was to watch some podcasts of George Siemens and Steven Downes on the topic of connectivism and networks.
The first part of the assignment was to draw out our own networks as we perceived them to be at this point. I duly went and drew a nice little diagram showing my connections. I divided them into 5 categories: face to face (neighbours, family, care group, church), Social Networks (facebook and my blog) LTT class (colleagues, professor, mentor) and Online Stuff(Educator's PLN, Group Ed Tech Talk, videos, other blogs, educational websites) and my school (teaching partner, principal, other teachers, students).

Then I watched all 7 podcasts. (Aren't you proud of me??) Their basic premise is that learning is not a "inside an individual" but rather takes place within a network of knowledge, of which a person's own brain is just one part. As people, our desire is to express our thoughts through language of whatever medium (art, speech, etc). Knowledge is constantly changing and we as human beings, must find a way to learn so that we stay current. "What we know today is not as important as our ability to stay current." According to Downes, networks must be open, autonomous, diverse and connected. Only then will the learning be optimized.

I think I'm questioning the basic premise that increased knowledge is the ultimate goal. Really? Why? Does this not just make another power system..those with the most networks have the most power because they have the most knowledge at their fingertips?

And yet, I love the idea of community/connectivism. I identified closely with Siemens' description of how he grew up. Although my community was not as narrowly conservative as his was, I know of which he speaks. I wonder if he would say he has given anything worthwhile up in his quest for knowledge?

I believe in community rather than heirarchy. At times when I was listening to these podcasts, I thought I could be sitting in church listening to a sermon about how the people of God are to live. It is not about the individual, it is about the community with the common purpose, not of building some big building, but of building the community of God. Communities need to be open, diverse, connected and autonomous.

And yet, I fear this is a educational utopia.

How does this affect how I teach in a school where some of my fellow colleagues refuse to touch the computers and feel that they have enough to teach without adding to their plates. How do I influence them to extend their boundaries? Look beyond their classroom to the world beyond? To realize that teaching is not about filling kids' heads with knowledge, but teaching kids to make relevant networks.

How will this change the way I teach Grade 1? Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, our education system functions as a swinging pendulum, where one minute people are following one ideology and then the next they quickly switch to another. I wonder if it is even possible to get everyone on the same page and have this "community" that seems to make so much sense, yet does not exist.

    ReplyDelete