Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Using Research

It had been a long time since I've had to use research in any sort of way...which maybe says something about my teaching. I hadn't grown or seen the need. The last time I did research for anything was when I was on Mat Leave with my youngest (who is now 9) and taking a "educating exceptional students" online course through UBC. When I think back now, I remember being excited about the research I was doing and the things I was learning. So why did I stop? The only answer I can give now is probably..."I just didn't take the time." For research certainly does take time and effort. It must be focused and carefully digested.

So now that I'm taking this course, I've had to once again engage in research that directly affects my teaching. It's been a huge learning curve for me again as I have found research that challenges my pedagogy, as well as finding research that affirms what I am doing in my class. As I reflect back on my teaching the last few years and focusing directly on the 4 inquiries that I've done/am doing, I find that research has become a valuable tool for me to inform my practice. In my inquiry about leadership in schools, I learned things such as "working within the system." I really enjoyed my creativity inquiry and that has been the first one to really cause changes within my teaching. I now deliberately find times and places for my students to exercise creativity, knowing now that creativity is one of the most important skills to teach and encourage among students. I am looking forward to seeing how this inquiry on reading and small groups will affect my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment