Monday, February 21, 2011

Looking back...at my participation in Learning Communities

So this week we're supposed to look back and see what our growth has been in relation to capacity one in our program: "participate in and help develop learning communities to support your teaching practice."

Because of the technology woes at the school where I was when we were doing our first inquiry, I felt I had no option but to tackle this one head on. I dove into the virtual world of professional learning communities, as well as being intentional with my face to face ones. I joined a few educator's wikis, followed some blogs, listened in on conversations about education online and participated in a mentorship program within my district. I did a comparison between the two types of PLC's and was pleased to note that I was learning from both. I enjoyed the big pictures I saw with the online research, and used lots of practical ideas from my face to face meetings. Both were valuable to me.

As time went on, and my inquiries changed and my position changed, I have also been able to expand my participation in the online community. I have taken part in discussions with teachers I have never met, both in topics I have raised and in other conversations that I have happened upon. I joined twitter and was able to gain some valuable information about creativity as I focused on that one term. It was at this point that I also found places where people gave very practical advice to try in my classroom the next day. I am still using some of those ideas.

So what have I learned about participating in learning communities? I've learned that I just have to look and participate and I will find something worthwhile. I've learned that such communities can be invaluable to my own teaching as I reflect and ponder my own strategies and look for new ones. When I offer up my own ideas, I first take the time to think about whether it really is something good and why it works for me. Then I can share it with others. PLC's can be very practical ways to improve my own work in my classroom. I must continue this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment