Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Research and Me

So, in preparation for my final portfolio due at the end of this semester, we are supposed to be looking at our growth in the 5 capacities of the program. The first one we're examing is "draw on educational theories, research and philosophies to inform your use of technologies to support teaching and learning."

The four inquiries I have embarked on are:
Fall 2009 : developing a PLC for myself
Winter 2010: developing my leadership in the area of technology in my school
Fall 2010: overcoming my fear of creativity
Winter 2011: small reading groups for developing reading and improved behaviour.

When I look at my baseline portfolio, my self-analysis on this capacity is quite lacking. Actually embarrassingly so... I thought research was going to professional development opportunities and incorporating a reading program that our school initiated. During my first inquiry, most of the research I relied on was articles given to us as a class. I made them fit with my learning statements.
My attitude towards research started to change with my second inquiry where I actually looked for articles on leadership and technology in schools. It affected what I did and how I approached the whole topic.
But it was with my third inquiry that I really felt like the research I did PRIOR to starting my inquiry made the most significant difference for my inquiry. I didn't do the research to prove my point, but rather to let it guide my inquiry. I gained definitions of creativity (and what it wasn't), got ideas about how to develop it in children, etc. Then as I did my inquiry, I was able to use and reflect on these ideas.
And for this latest inquiry, I'm starting from some basic points I've learned from doing research. Others have proven that a combination of repeated reading and listening makes for the best growth in fluency....Okay, then, that's where I'll start. :)

1 comment:

  1. It's funny you mention how embarrassing you thought your baseline portfolio was, I was just looking at mine and thinking the same thing! My baseline portfolio was so amateur, and basic. Compared to my last portfolio which is rooted in research. Research that I found and used to direct my field study. Funny how fast things change!

    ReplyDelete