Monday, November 8, 2010

Some good things happened today

Some good things happened today...and they're even technology based!
First...heard by my principal in the hallway as a parent is coming in with my student ... "Yes, I got an e-mail from Mrs. Brandt yesteday to remind us to bring your library book and so it's in your backpack!"

Secondly, as a PS on the above-mentioned e-mail, I mentioned to the parents that I was working on developing a private website to display pictures of the students and other things from our classroom. I got an e-mail in response from one dad. "Great idea!"

Thirdly, I was able to invite parents (and my principal) to become members of my website. Within a few minutes of the invitation going out, my principal responded saying he had joined the website and enjoyed the pictures. I also have 4 parents as members already! One parent e-mailed me, as well, to say she'd really liked the website and seeing the pictures.

Fourth, I was able to get enough computers working so that all students in my class were able to work with one! Yeah! And it didn't even take too long....I think I may have discovered a trick: log on while still connected to the power source...then disconnect and bring to desk to work. Most students were also able to use Kid Pix to create a picture showing a season of the year (our science topic). I have the computers booked every afternoon this week, so hopefully the creativity juices will soon be able to flow using the technology.

And...finally....I'm almost finished my report cards and was able to save them to a flash drive, update them at home, and save them again. I was even able to correct a problem with the program.

Things are looking up... (my optimism may also be due to the fact that we have a day off on Thursday [duty day] and only half day on Friday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment