Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Class Assignment: Who owns the info on the web?

Creative Commons: Who owns information on the web? What considerations should we give as professionals as we use/share information/media?

Good questions. Well, take for example, my facebook account. What is mine? What can anyone else take and use? Could people take my pictures and use them? Should they? Why do I put them on there? Well, to share with my friends and family; no one else. But, by putting them on a public forum like facebook, I have inadvertently allowed more people access to "my" stuff. (privacy settings on...hopefully not too many people have access that I haven't allowed)

Well, what about professionally? When I take an idea I find online that I'd like to use in my class, am I stealing? What if it's not a page that says "print," but I highlight, copy, and paste it into my own document. Do I have an obligation to the original writer?

We just explored the corporation "Creative Commons" which is a place to license your work online for others to use, change, but always to attribute. You can say what you allow with your own work. As more and more people find out about this, more and more work can be used legally and credited to the author. This is copyright for the new digital age.

No comments:

Post a Comment