Saturday, September 11, 2010

Two Ah-Hah moments this weekend...

Creativity...what is it? According to Sir Ken Robinson, in his TED address "Do schools kill creativity?" defines creativity as being willing to be wrong.

I like that definition, partially because it identifies for me one of the reasons why creativity is such a mental block for me. I HATE being wrong, and will go to some great lengths to prove my "rightness" in an argument. I feel like I'm incompetent or stupid if I admit to being wrong. Hmmm... something to think about more.

And...as I was discussing this with a very creative friend of mine, she elaborated on this and said that part of encouraging creativity amongst youngsters was allowing them to be wrong. Wow...that hit me. I often want to correct students as they are in the midst of trying to solve a problem if I can already see that they are headed in a "wrong" direction. I want to point them towards the correct solution...something that will work. I think maybe this is one area in which I will be able to test my own encouragement of creativity in my students is if I let them make mistakes...How do I still make them want to try things even if they get things wrong repeatedly? Is it the process that's important??

Some heavy thoughts as I try to enjoy my weekend... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment