Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Inquiry Learnings...

(editing done after talking it over with my peers and mentor at my class tonight)

For this semester's inquiry, I've been exploring the idea of leadership, particularly how it relates to technology in the school. The semester is winding down, but I feel like my inquiry is just beginning. That being said, I need to come up with a learning statement and evidence to back it up. So here goes my first attempt...

"I am learning that to show leadership in my school with respect to technology I need to understand and use the staff systems already there."

Let me explain. I had thought that I'd be able to offer what little I knew about computer use in the classroom to others in my staff. However, I'm new on staff and I teach half time. I made some assumptions, such as teachers would be open and welcoming to my offer to help and that my offer made on e-mail would be received by everybody.

Elaboration: Our school received our mobile computer lab (COW) for Christmas and the response from our staff has been mixed, at best. The grade 4 and 7 teachers had to use them for the FSA testing in February. A few teachers have used them as word processors to present projects or as a place for students to accentuate their learning with learning websites that incorporate games. But generally I'd said the computers are under utilitized. I hypothesize that there are a few reasons for this: the lab is unreliable and time consuming, teachers already feel like they don't have time to cover the curriculum and feel that this is just adding something new, and finally, teachers don't know what to do with them or how to use them effectively.

The first thing I did was offer my services to the staff through a general e-mail. I also asked them a few questions about how they intended to use the computers in their class and whether they had questions about anything related to computer usage in the classroom. The response was dismal...only 3 teachers bothered to respond and that was after I told everyone that I had sent this e-mail and would appreciate a response. Those 3 that did respond didn't want and/or need any help. So I was stuck, stalled, and stymied. How would I show leadership if no one wanted any?? Fortunately, I have a university class where I can express these feelings and some of them wisely suggested I narrow my focus. Was there any one teacher that needed help? And yes, there was. The Kindergarten teacher next door was talking to me about the computer in her class and how frustrated she was about a few things about it. One of those things was that when her students were on a website, they were inadvertently clicking outside of the window and then it would disappear from their sight and the students would need their teacher's immediately assistance again and again. I showed BJ the simple F11 key function which hides the menu bar and causes the website to fill the screen. Her students are now having more success on the computers and the teacher is able to do other tasks with other students without the constant interruption from the students on the computer.

First Evidence: The principal is acknowledging me as a leader
My principal chose me to go with him and another 2 teachers to a Technology conference entitled "Creativity and Technology." He has also offered to cover my class so that I can help other teachers during their computer times. He has also asked me to share the technology standards at a staff meeting.
Second Evidence: I'm learning what leadership is...and what it isn't.
In my journal Feb 9, I write "leadership...can't force it on anyone, but when there's a need I can step in and help along." In my research on this topic, I came across this quote: "Anytime we try to influence the behavior of another human being, we are engaging in an act of leadership." I am trying to help other teachers out where they need it. I now have administative powers to add students to our school list and a few other things on our system. I have used that to help some teachers put new students on their class lists. I have a book on top of the COW that teachers can use to describe any problems they have with the computers and I check that regularly and either fix the problem myself, or refer it on to the district IT department.

Third Evidence: She said it, not me!
On Friday, March 19, my principal came and covered my class so that I could assist another teacher in starting her students on the computers. It was their first time on computers and I was able to walk them through logging on and getting to KidPix without any hitches. I used the projector which was very helpful in showing the students what I was talking about. Towards the end of the class, the other teacher told me in front of the class that she would just call me "Mrs. Computer" from now on. 'nough said! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment