Monday, March 21, 2011

Tweets about blogs...

So...as I continue to work on my final portfolio, I explored more blogs, tweets, etc. to see what other people are saying about things I'm learning. I came across a tweet from Tom Whitby where he refers people to his blog post "To blog or not to blog". I enjoyed the entry, but more so the comments after. In particular, I resonated with one response from a teacher who is starting to blog reluctantly. What got me was Tom's response to this teacher, which stated in my edited format.... "Never hesitate to offer your professional opinion. You are working day to day with children. You have been educated as to methods and Pedagogy. You are an expert in education with experience. Never doubt your expertise. ... Blog with confidence, but be reflective and flexible. That is what being an educator is about, Relevance...."

So here I am...blogging about my work as a teacher. Blogging to engage in this cycle of reflection and action. I don't think I have too many followers, and that's okay. If someone does stumble upon my blog, they can rest assured that I am just another educator trying to do my best in my situation with my students. And if by chance a parent stumbles on my blog, hopefully they will appreciate my attempts to articulate what I am trying to do in the classroom with his/her child. In fact, I would love to have parents interact with me on this level, as well as the daily, "How was ...insert child's name...'s day?"

And another tweet pointed me to another blog by Maurice Elias (via Edutopia) entitled "What's the Secret to Effective Classroom Management? According to her research (David Brookes in "The Social Animal"), a classroom that is productive, engaging and well-managed is a class where children have a strong positive relationship with their teacher, and vice-versa. When a classroom is based on trust, students are able to pursue goals of higher learning, not just getting the right answer. "Learning is work of the head and work of the heart."

Hmm, that makes me pause. With the classroom management issues I've been having in my room this year, I often find it easiest to slip into my authoritarian mode and make the kids want to obey me because they're too frightened to find out what would happen if they didn't. And yet, that doesn't bring out the best in the students or in myself, even though it feels better for a little while. How can I make sure that the students are doing their best? How can I encourage this trust factor? Is my struggle with reading groups developing this trust? The last few times of doing it, I am starting to feel that way. They are learning to work independently and productively for an extended period of time. Hopefully that's because they are working to please not only me, but also themselves. They are trusting. Another quote I find very relevant for my class .. "Those concerned about classroom management must simultaneously be concerned about student learning. Both thrive only when there are trusting, respectful, caring relationships between students and teachers. When the latter are in place, rules will be effective and the majority of students will be engaged learners."

I love this whole new world that twitter, blogs, PLN's, etc has opened up for me. And what I'm also enjoying is taking these discussions and putting them out there where other people than educator's are, ie facebook. (See previous blog)

till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Cyndy. I loved that quote from Tom Whitby, particularly "You are an expert in education with experience. Never doubt your expertise." Why is it that we are so willing to share out thoughts/views/ideas/opinions/(even rants) verbally with whoever will listen, but putting it "out there" in cyberspace seems so much more terrifying?? I find that I doubt myself and de-value myself -- two things that do not sit well with me. Although, like most things, the more you do it the more comfortable and empowering it becomes :)

    ReplyDelete